Tuesday 13 March 2012

The 'Mis-Possibilities'

Whether one grew up to the west or the east of the Indian Ocean, most if not everyone have come across the notion that failure was undesirable. It is a variation of social taboo that has perpetuated either through mechanisms I dub (a) 'parental expectations' or (b) 'p2p pressure'; no one is expected to fail, and if one does, they are sidetracked to a lower rung of the ladder, whether social or corporate - not different, just lower.

As I am writing this, I have been unemployed for about three days now. While many expected me to be overjoyed, I can't help but feel a sense of panic, a sense of daunting uncertainty - a sense of failure.

Augmenting these emotions is the fact that I chose to resign from my position at a well-known firm, which I have been told many would 'die to be be part of'. The more I thought about it, the more illogical it seemed - why would anyone choose to fail? Was I making the biggest mistake of my life?  Have I made a complete U-turn on the very mechanisms that wheeled me to the position that I had worked so hard for?

I was giving up a lot in the present for a future that has (and the obviousness is not lost on me) yet to present itself. The possibilities are endless, but so are the opportunity costs, or what I dub the 'mis-possibilities'.

Giving up a generous income, loved ones, and living in London itself seemed almost an impossibility twelve months ago. And yet, through rain and shine, I knew I had to follow my instincts - I could not waste one more second living someone else's life, and achieving someone else's goals. Idealistic and naive as it may be, I wanted to live the life of my dreams - to chase after it, warts and all.

The fear of failure is a double edged sword. On one side, there is the paralysing effect that consumes one's visions, and on the other, is the uplifting heave that one needs to draw oneself to success (or rather, absence of failure). I believe the trick is to direct the latter to the right path and the former would be obsolete.

My dreams aren't there yet, and while I have accepted the mis-possibilities of my choices, I am still learning to embrace the myriad of paths my life can now take - most of which, with a bit of luck and courage and perhaps some brains, will lead me straight (or even obliquely) to where I want to be. Amen.

Watch this: JK Rowling and the fringe benefits of failure.


The full speech can be watched at TED.com. Click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment