Thursday 12 April 2012

TV that changed my life. I am still serious. (Part 2a of 2)

<enter funny non-descript double entendre statement>
<enter personal views on KL public transport>
<enter swear word>
<enter fuck>

<enter opening to blog post>
<enter witty comment>
<enter fuck>


4. Absolute Power (2003)



When I was roughly around the age of sixteen, I began to wonder, what the hell was I going to do with my life. There was not much inspiration coming from books, teachers, or let alone TV. The usual Asian stereotypical careers I knew I would always cross out eventually (though it took a few years to convince the parents)

Doctor. No. Too much time. Too little sex.
Dentist. No. Teeth. Double no. See above.
Engineering. No. Hated Physics. 
Anything related to Natural/Physical Sciences. No. Snore.

Then, StarWorld picked up Absolute Power. The series depicted the nitty-gritty world of Public Relations - misadventures include 'humanising' a bin Laden about to take-over British Airways, re-mesmerisation of American food products and crisis handling of a MP going to the Heath for, um, explicit endeavours. I was hooked, in fact, I remember thinking to myself that I wanted to be in PR. And although that was about 8 years ago, I start work with Ogilvy PR next week -  I guess the heart wants what it wants. 


When: 2005-2006, when high school was over and I started to think what I wanted to do in life.
Why: The humour, the dry wit but most importantly, the writing was fantastic!
What I learnt: Power is important. Using it wisely is more important. Being devious, eh, why not?
Who: If you don't know Stephen Fry, don't talk to me.


Also, because I'm in KL now, I've been consumed with the procrastination bug so shows #5 and #6 will be in another post, which will be written, tomorrow when procrastinators unite.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment